Friday 7 February 2014

Memphis A2 - 1970s Japanese Strat-shaped Junior style "project" guitar

guitarz.blogspot.com:
I've always liked nice simple guitars. A single pickup and just a volume and tone control are all you need sometimes. It's so easy to get bogged down by the confusion presented by a myriad of volume and tone controls, pickup selector switches, coil taps, series/parallel switches, active electronics, and so on and so forth. I guess, for me, it all goes back to the acoustic guitar; you don't get all that kind of nonsense on an acoustic. If you want a different tone then you adjust your playing style. And that's kinda the way I view no-nonsense single pickup guitars such as the one pictured here.

The Memphis A2 is a Japanese-made guitar from the 1970s. It has a short 23 3/4" scale length, a fat Gibson 58 Les Paul-like neck radius, non-adjustable bridge, and a Bill Lawrence blade pickup mounted in the centre position (surely the most sensible location for it on a single pickup guitar?). Despite its Gibson Junior-like appointments, the body seems to have been modelled closely on that of the Fender Stratocaster.



Currently being auctioned on eBay with a starting price of US$79.95, which sounds pretty reasonable for a guitar that the seller describes as being in "project" condition. This guitar looks like it might have potential. Auction ends Monday night.

G L Wilson

© 2014, Guitarz - The Original Guitar Blog - the blog that goes all the way to 11!
Please read our photo and content policy.

8 comments:

  1. I love the simplicity of design here too. Reminds me of a Vox Stroller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the neck is well placed and accurate it is a real bargain . 80 quids could be the price of the pickup alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Would love to play it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one in my hands, right NOW...got for $45 and a helluva long drive. Had a shim under the neck, which jacked up the action, and the nut was not glued down, Little bit of fixes, and now it kicks ass...ROARS with overdrive

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my first electric guitar. I'd like to buy it! Nostalgia rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was my very first electric guitar. I'd like to buy it! Will you sell it to me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please, OP...I'd like to have this guitar! Let's make a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have this guitar in blue...and i'd be willing to let it go. no shims, and it's all there and plays fine...if anyone is interested.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis